Enjoying a Baby with English as an Additional Language
Enjoying your bilingual baby
- Remember: it is an advantage to speak more than one language. It increases your baby's brain development.
- If your baby knows their first language well, it will help them learn English. When they understand an idea in their first language (such as numbers or colours), they easily pick up the English word that means the same thing.
- It’s very important that you use the language you feel most comfortable in. This is how you can help your baby develop language, talk about ideas and learn about the world.
- A baby who develops good use of their first language is more likely to develop good English.
- If you use English instead, your baby will lose their own language. Neither language will progress and the baby can have problems in both languages in the future.
- Keep using the first language, even if your baby answers in English. They will understand what has been said and continue learning the language.
- Use your first language to tell stories and sing songs with your baby, borrow books from the library and watch TV programmes or DVDs and talk about them together.
- Remember: everyone should be encouraged to feel very proud of their language and culture.
The Talk to Your Baby quick tips are now available bilingually in 13 languages: